Drew's 120 build

BPreefer

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
cdrewferd;207794 said:
Thanks Brent. If you could just get Brian to build your stand you could get going huh? Lol
No place to put it right now, I'm holding him up from getting it done. Lol. Taking down the 75 first.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
These aren't very good photos, but I thought I should put something up.

I added a DSB to the fuge.

That made the tank look like this for almost 2 days.

Don't worry, I didn't put any fish in the tank until it was cleared up. I also added a few other fish.

I thought this pic of the Tri-color was pretty cool.

So as of right now my fish list is as follows:

Blue stripped Rabbit fish
Whitecheek tang
Tri-color wrasse
Melanurus wrasse
Half black hybrid dwarf angel
Flame angel
Clown pair - from my 30
Banggai Cardinals - mated pair from Divers Den
Yasha goby/pistol shrimp combo

Going to let everything settle in for a couple weeks or longer before adding any more fish. My CUC should be here today though. Will be nice to have snails and hermits in the tank finally.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
LOL, nope. Just a sandstorm. Funny though, the black sand never clouded on me, not even a little. This white sand was horrible though. I was running 2 filter socks, changed then once a day and it still took forever.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, I'm getting a killer deal on a bigger skimmer. Getting an SWC Extreme 230 cone. With this skimmer and the fuge I should be able to easily meet my goal of about 20 fish in the tank. This is going to require me to redo my sump a little, but that's a good thing. Until you setup one of these bigger systems you don't really know what you want in a sump. I'm going to clean my 40 breeder and use that as a temp sump while I get the baffles redone in the current sump. I'm going to shrink the fuge area a bit, and also lower that baffle. The fuge baffle is currently like 16" tall. It makes the fuge really deep. I would like to do some mangroves, so I will be lowering this down to probably 12". That will also help minimize the bubbles that thatbaffle creates. Also going to widen the bubble trap a bit. Thinking I'll put my heater in there so it's out of the way and can't get smashed on accident.

I'll post some pics during this process. Will probably swap sumps on Thursday or Friday, then hopefully have the new sump done by Saturday and then cured and installed by Monday.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice!

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, I figured that it's about time for an update.

From the fish list above, I only have the Melanarus and Yasha goby. The 2 shrimp are also still alive. I know that ich killed the tang and the rabbit fish. The others did the same thing that my QT fish did. Doing fine before I go to bed and then dead when I wake up. Really frustrating to me losing so many fish. I'm still contemplating hypo, but not sure now.

I added some new equipment as well. I added the above SWC 230 skimmer, Apex, carbon reactor, MP40W ES. I'm still working on getting the Apex fully setup and working the way I want. I got a killer deal and got a ton if stuff. Anyway, here's some pics.

Big skimmer

Temp sump with no baffles and the new skimmer.

Working pretty good.

New toy added tonight, 12/26/12. Christmas present to myself.

Current FTS. MP20 on the left and the MP40 is on the right. Pretty sure I'm going to upgrade the 20 to 40W ES specs so I can sync them.

Hopfully I can figure out what's killing my fish. I don't want to go through the trouble of hypo only to have it be something that hypo doesn't affect. I'm really hoping to get to work on the stand sometime soon. Need to get the panels finished and then take care of the growing electrical mess. Lol

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Drew's 120 build

Might be bad joo joo, but all my fish in qt died, so I stopped quarantining fish, didn't have any fish die until the Great Fug Light Incident of '10.

Looking great though. Amy pics of your finished sump?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm still running the temp sump. I'm probably only going to run a single baffle and just fill the other side with the skimmer, rock and a spot for some macros. Might even do some mangroves in a couple months, but not sure.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cleaned my skimmer cup for the second time last night. Never really understood what people said when they said their skimmate stunk. There aren't a lot of things that make me want to puke, but cleaning that skimmer cup is one of them. Never knew something could stink so freaking bad.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Re: Drew's 120 build

No way really? Who knew they smelled terrible? Certainly not me :D

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
cdrewferd;214112 said:
Cleaned my skimmer cup for the second time last night. Never really understood what people said when they said their skimmate stunk. There aren't a lot of things that make me want to puke, but cleaning that skimmer cup is one of them. Never knew something could stink so freaking bad.
Didn't know this was your first tank, awesome! That's a huge one and should help alleviate some of the pains (fluctuating water conditions or overcrowding) that comes with smaller tanks. Tanks always look small in pics, then in person, they're like HUGE, like Mike's 300g. Looks like a cool setup! Hope you figure out the fish problem.

Yeah Skimmate smells like ****, pond, & algae, all at once, hahaa. Your's looks a little weak colored, don't know if you've read the threads on wet-skimming vs. dry skimmate. Worth a read, and choose you're favorite.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is actually my second tank. Had a 29g Biocube setup for about a year. The little skimmer on that one never made stink like this SWC does.

Still trying to dial the skimmer in. I would like a little more dry, but we'll see what I can get. I currently only have 2 fish and 2 shrimp, so this skimmer is hardly working considering it's rated for a heavy stocked 200g and I have maybe 140g water volume.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I might have a few. Got some Anthias in there that add a lot of color to the tank. It's funny, before adding the Anthias the wrasse would go to bed by about 5. During the week I wouldn't see him as he would get up after the lights came on, 8am, and in bed by 5. Now he's staying up until about 8-8:30. Kinda funny.

I might get a fish or 2 at the meeting tomorrow, but not sure. Also still need to get my sump done, redo a little plumbing, make my manifold and finish the panels for the stand. Oh, and build the complete canopy, LOL.

I am picking up another Reef Bright tomorrow though, so that's gonna help the lighting a lot. Then I'll start adding a few corals and see how little light I can get things to grow under.

BPreefer

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Drew's 120 build

I thought you already built a canopy. Get some light and get that reef started. Lol you know you miss it.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
crazy on the anthias - pretty cool - they are dither fish for the wrasse!

i'm throwing a few goatfish in my tank today. that's what i hope will happen for some of my shyer fish.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, not much going on. Here are some pics though.

My current stock list is:

3 Bartlet Anthias
4 Disbar Anthias
1 Chevron Tang
1 Melanarus Wrasse
1 Yasha Goby w/ pistol shrimp friend
1 Coral Banded shrimp

Coral is very light at this point:

1 green w/ purple tip hammer
1 Red Planet frag
1 Sunny D zoa

I only have 2 Reef Brite strips over the tank. 1 50/50 tech and 1 XHO Blue. I am thinking about an XHO 50/50 to either replace the current, or just add to. I'm going to try a lot lower light than others. If it grows, awesome. If not, oh well.