Jeremiah's "it cost how much?" 65 rebuild

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have some wood you can have too but I move tomorrow so you need to grab it today or before 11:00 am tomorrow.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So the fixture runs 2 AC fans, one of which is disabled. Can I run it with one fan or do I need the second?

All the fans im finding are dc and it's a pain to rewire them for AC.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
In light of Great White Aquatics anniversary blowout sale this week going to start stocking my quarantine tank:

Yellow tang
Purple firefish

Cuc:
15 trocus
5 narssissus
10 ceriths
1 emerald crab

Anything else I should add?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Had to make room in my office and moved the rock to a new bin.

How long do I need to let it sit to fully cycle or is it dependent on the nitrate/nitrites? Move some rock from display into here a week ago. Haven't changed the water in it yet. When I do move it to display tank do I need to clean it off w fresh salt water as it has a bit of grime that's been collecting at the bottom if the bucket?

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
WHen curing rock I always changed the water, however Id change my DT water first and use the water from that to change in the curing tubs. Once ammonia and nitrates are no longer present its pretty much good to go. Ive had rock cycle in a couple weeks, Ive had it takes 6 weeks. Alot of it depends on what was in or on the rock when you started curing it. If there was alot of organic matter left over from when it was originally removed from the tank it will take longer to cycle.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks man! I rinsed it off real well and let it sit in the sun for a week before adding it in. Very porous made it easier to clean.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here are my thoughts on moving everything from my 30 to the 65. I plan on filling 3 5 gallon buckets w tank water and putting all the corals and fish in them w a few small pieces of rock ( some corals r attached). I then plan on emptying the tank into the 65 - there's only 20 lbs sand in it. I plan on adding at least double that ontop of the old sand. I will then add a large piece of eggcrate resting on PVC to the 30, fill half w new salt water/empty the buckets back in. Hoping this will minimize loss. I can then work on finishing the refugium and let the rock finish it's cycle w the mature rock I currently have while the corals and fish stay in the 30 bare bottom at that point, under same lighting, the led light I have on it is a 120 watt evergrow full spec that I plan on putting over the refuge in the new tank once the cycle finishes.
Thoughts?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Shaunv;309747 said:
I have some wood you can have too but I move tomorrow so you need to grab it today or before 11:00 am tomorrow.
Thanks Shaun! I was able to go over the day after u moved and it was still there. I needed 7 2x4s and that's exactly what u had. Thanks again and hope the move went well!!!

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Awesome, glad it worked out. Move went fine. We love our new place.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Started cutting wood yesterday for the two headers. Decided to build two headers and then join them w 2x4 that are anchored between the headers w joists.

Didn't have anyone to hold the boards when I cut them (12 foot boards) so I used a ladder w some books stacked on a step to hold them for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
In regards to lighting: I have a 2x150 watt DE Metal halide fixture that I want to use with 14k Phoenix bulbs. Going to run this for 4 or less hours a day. I'm thinking of adding led stunner strips to run on both ends of the halides to supplement for the blues. Is this necessary? I have also thought about taking the moon lights out of the fixture, 3 panels of 6 LEDs each, and replacing those w better LEDs to run blues before and after the halides. Thoughts?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Sand and rock. Once the stand is finished will be cycling this for a while. Got the sand for free from Seth Solomon, thanks seth!!!.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Almost finished w half the framing of the stand. Had to slide the beams together at the top to make room for the plumbing coming down from tank.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Started work on the sump today. Took out the first two panels that were for a skimmer and moved them back. Leftmost panel is plastic I think and I will cut teeth into the top. There's a bubble trap and then space for the return. Will b using an ato in the future and won't have to worry about top off then, for now I can refil daily.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Refugium section is going to include the rest of sand that I have, some live rock pieces that I won't use in display, 1 blue tux sea urchin, emerald crabs, trocus, nerites, and narssissus. Mainly using it for chaeto growth, been reading some on Xenia and it's nutrient transporting as well so might include a back wall of Xenia. I have an hob refugium that I'll put on far left where the dt tank dumps in for the time being.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;326313 said:
Jeremiah, as for LED strips, go with Current USA or reef brights. the ecoxotic strips are garbage.
Thanks Seth! Still planning on picking up a fuge light from u for this tank, just might b a few days.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
New bulbs on their way, should b here end of the week. Phoenix 14k DE 150W MH. Christmas came early this year!

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Progress.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
How should I clean the overflow and plumbing?