KhensuRa's 58 gallon rimless

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's right after all these years I am going to get a bigger tank. YAY!!!

So I am starting a build thread to get some info from all you smarty pants on what "would you" do?

Gabe is upgrading his 58 and will be selling me his oceanic 58 gallon. Not much of an upgrade but it will be about twice as much space and is not an all in one. I am finally graduating!!! Overflows, sumps and refugiums oh myyy!

The biggest challenge for me is that, there are so many extra parts. :D So here are my questions:
1. Can I do a rimless with this tank without any worries?
2. What is the best return pump for this tank? (will have a 30 gallon tall sump/fug in stand)
3. Anyone have a good cheap pump they are welling to part with?
4. How do I go about the switch? I will be adding a good 50 to 60 gallons of fresh saltwater, so should I save some old tank water?
5. What about my current sand? Should I get all new sand? (that would be a bummer) Or can I just clean the old sand with ro water and add a new bag of live sand?
6. Should I add sand and live rock to my fug right away?
7. Do I really need a skimmer? I have been doing great for years with out one.
8. Am I leaving anything really important out?

As for the tank switch I have plenty of time to do this right as I am going to refinish the old stand so it looks like new and again really want to make the tank rimless. Thanks for looking and for any useful information that you may all have. Oh I don't really plain on adding any more rock to the DT, looking to do a more open mixed reeef with as many fish I can add with out to many poop issues....

I almost fill like a newb!!!.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't think you can go rimless. The thing that I had a hard time deciding was the plumbing, as in, durso pipes, u-tube overflow, etc. I decided to go bean animal. The loudest thing in my tank is the return and skimmer pumps. If I turn those off, the tank is whisper quiet. Requires 3 holes drilled, and coast to coast overflow though. I found a glass shop to make me a new piece of back glass with 4 holes (one for easy w/c) drilled for $55. For return, depends on the flow you want through your sump. If you're been running skimmerless, I've stick with that, whatever form of nutrient export you do seems to be working for you.

What lighting are you going to have? You going to run a controller? Dosing pumps? Kalk? Ca rx? Ato?

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Why can't I go rimless as the is no center brace?

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's half inch glass. It's actually thicker glass than my 75 gallon which is a third of an inch thick...

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
L 36.5 x W 18.5 x H 21 and I think the glass is 3/8 to 1/2 of an inch I think.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
im pretty sure its only 3/8 but still pretty thick ...i plan t go rimless ...i cant see how the top is anything more than decoration because there is no center support and the corners are mitered so its not even a molded single piece

SAZAMA

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have move small tanks into larger ones several times. your best bet is to buy new sand IMO, keep as much rock and water from the old tank as possible, and put it all together. I kept my livestock in buckets until my ph was perfect then moved it all over. it took several hours but was not that bad. also make a few pod hotels to ensure their succession. (i wish I had done that)
cheers, Tony

SAZAMA

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
make one of these
[video=youtube;KAlEt4NUo4o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAlEt4NUo4o&feature=related[/video]

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
dv3;143442 said:
im pretty sure its only 3/8 but still pretty thick ...i plan t go rimless ...i cant see how the top is anything more than decoration because there is no center support and the corners are mitered so its not even a molded single piece
Nope it's half inch I measured it myself. I can show you a pic when I get home

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Guess we should never argue size with Gabe... hehe

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got my new/used tank from Gabe yesterday and will be taking the stand over to my brother in-law to see what can be done to new it up. Tank looks to be in good sorts and needs a good cleaning. Once that is done I will start buying a few things here and there to get it up and running.

What size return pump do you all think I should use?