KhensuRa's 58 gallon rimless

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wicked Demon;145437 said:
It will, takes a lot of work, also get a flat sanding pad and some 180 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper and you can sand the corners down to a ground look with some time and patience.
If you bring it to the meeting I will help you.
Sweet info Aaron. I will get right on a sanding.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks good, also looks like a ton of work to get the trim off, would acetone free the silicone from the glass or soften it to get it off easier?

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
No, I dont think acetone will cut through silicone, but the sanding will remove it.
Unless you are QUITE sure you can control the sanding, you should wrap a piece of tape around the rim, inside and out.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
a razor scraper wont take it off ? ........they do make some stuff that is supposed to dissolve caulk IDK about silicone though ...check the paint dept at the hardware store

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Yes acetone will soften silicone and make it easier to remove just wash the glass well after you are done.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Khensu- if your going to sand it, sand it before trying to remove the silicone separately, as most/all of it will be removed through the sanding process anyway.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The reason it has been hard to remove is edges where not super clean to begin with. Almost seems like they purposely used rough edges to get the silicon to really stick this is why a razor really does not work. I did have some really used 100 grit sand paper that I used on some of it last night and it worked like a champ. So I am off to the depot to get some of the stuff Aaron said will work in buffing the glass out.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Worked on the stand a little yesterday. Just needs a final coat and I can start working on a few other things. Hope to have the new tank up and running in a week or two.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tank and stand together at last. What do you all think?

inside the stand, I tossed in a 20 high with a maybe bucket for ATO.

This center brace in not weight bearing so I might cut it to fit a larger sump/fug. Any thoughts on that move?

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am a big fan of the white stand/conopy combo. Everyone does black. I think white looks clean. Thatgoing to look great!

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
No canopy since it is a rimless, kind of wish I had the white leds. Be cool looking with the rim and the white stand.

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
KhensuRa;148896 said:
No canopy since it is a rimless, kind of wish I had the white leds. Be cool looking with the rim and the white stand.
And you could buy some white sunglasses and white jean shorts! lol

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have white jean shorts, they are short shorts.