KhensuRa's 58 gallon rimless

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
i believe the one that came with mine was a rio 2100 ...ill have to check it out

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am doing some reading and it looks like I need to get you all some more info to really answer the return pump question. I will see what size bulks heads I have and as far as sump/refug, I am hopping a 30 gallon tall will fit in the stand. Can't know for sure if it will fit till I get the 30T back.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
dv3;144424 said:
i believe the one that came with mine was a rio 2100 ...ill have to check it out
That's exactly what I used on it Don.

Yeah sorry Virgil about the algae lol I had too much rock to clean the glass effectively. I bought a glass scraper. Worked wonders on the paint and inside of my new tank. Cleaned everything off including that crappy blue paint in under 10 minutes. Come grab it

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Bean said it best, it's up to you to decide what kind of sump you want. You can go low or high flow. I did this.

Without going into to much detail, this is my hybrid Bean Animal, full siphon and emergency dump into skimmer chamber. My open channel goes into my fuge. I think I have a high and low flow sump, high through the skimmer and low through the fuge. Both the skimmer chamber and fuge dump into my return chamber (some adjustable rate ehiem pump, think 800 or 1000gph) this is a 20g sump and feeds my 15g cube. Hope this gives you some ideas :)

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
All I have see in this thread is a bunch of yackin......bla bla bla.......im like a 2 year old where are the pictures? lol

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here you go Mike!!!

As you can see I got a little work to make it nice and clean. The first thing I am going to do is remove that bottom return line!! What the heck was the person thinking when they put that in. Maybe they added a one way valve, but heck no would I trust that.
Might tackle the clean and remove the old plumbing today. Then after that I will make her rimless... Cross your fingers I don't scratch the hell out of it.

[attachment=60964:name]

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Gave it a good first clean and looked at the rim. Going to be a bit of a pain to remove, just need to get some new sharp blades to make it go as smoothly as possible.

Man I wish this house had a hose hook up in my garage to the hotwater. Damn it was cold with the wind trying to clean it with just the cold tap.

Going to need a new bulkhead as the guy who owned it before Gabe put a smaller bulk head on the return, I am really surprised it never leaked on anyone. And I am going to need a bulk head and cap for the side of the over flow. If you really look at the pictures you can see one of the tanks owners put a return hose on the lower part of the return.

Chad as soon as I find out what size I need I am going to hit you up for a new bulkhead.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Ya I saw that and at first I was like man that is a good idea.....Then my brain turned back on and I was like WTH woudlnt that drain the entire tank if the power went out? Must of had a check-valve on the entire return system i would guess right? Gabe? For sure Bro hit me up and we will get one for you.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks like a bit of a project, but will be sick once its up n running. if you need help refinishing the stand lemme know Ill have Lisa come help lol.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reefer;144766 said:
Ya I saw that and at first I was like man that is a good idea.....Then my brain turned back on and I was like WTH woudlnt that drain the entire tank if the power went out? Must of had a check-valve on the entire return system i would guess right? Gabe? For sure Bro hit me up and we will get one for you.
Nah I just didn't use the lower return. It would only drain as much as what was in the overflow. Wasn't bad at all.

Where some clean pics? I will miss all those snail eggs...

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Once the stand is finished I will take some more pics.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Worked on the tank and it now rimless. Still have a little work to do on the glass...

First cut, I started on the back just in case. Good thing I did, chipped the glass a tad.

Picture of the back off.

My mess:

The silicone on the top is a pain to get off...

All the rim gone, time to start scraping:

Done for now till I find a way to get the silicone off the top rim.

Any one know if I can polish/buff glass?

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's hot, good job man! I don't think it would do anything for scratches buffing it. Ask one of the windshield guys to come fix it lol

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I need to buff/polish the top where the silicone is. Will not come off.

Then off to the car wash for a good hose clean.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
It will, takes a lot of work, also get a flat sanding pad and some 180 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper and you can sand the corners down to a ground look with some time and patience.
If you bring it to the meeting I will help you.