Labsalesguy 120 Build Thread

Labsalesguy

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hello everyone,
Its time to start my build thread on my new tank!! I am excited to have a local community to learn from, and share information with!!A little background. I had a saltwater tank in the 80s ( Soo long ago!!) so much has changed since then, filtration, lighting, knowledge of husbandry. I then went to school in TX, majored in Biochemistry - and now work as a sales rep for a laboratory equipment company, and the interest in Ocean chemistry helped bring me back to the hobby. Fast forward to this summer. It all started in July when I decided to get the kids a "small fw tank". Well, that turned into a 55 gallon tank...then I decieded I wanted back into the Saltwater scene. I then decided to downsize the Fw tank and move it upstairs - its now in a 29 gal AIO tank with plants.

SO- I then bought Muralreefs 120 gal. It sat in my garage while I planned the sump.. I then bought BPreefers sump. Then I changed my mind on the tank- and bought a 5 foot 120 while in New Mexico on a work road trip!! Sold the 120 to another member here.

So here we go!
Equipment to start:
120 gallon TruVu, basic stand
43 gallon acrylic sump.
SRO1000 Protein Skimmer
Iwaki MD55RLT pump
Various power heads, TUNZE
ATO
150W EVO LED Touchscreen Light Fixture
Filterguys Ocean 1 with Chloramine blocks and DI unit, PSI and 2 point TDS gauge.

Here is where its going to sit. Did I mention I cut a hole in my new hardwood for a basement sump?:):)
View attachment 16628

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
It all started with a FW tank for my kid... where have I heard that story recently? Hmmmm.

I cannot wait to see this build come along. It is almost as fun watching these threads on other builds as working on my own tank.

I was the lucky recipient of Muralreef's 120 and it's awesome - my favorite new saying is "i think I'll be happy with this size for a long time" - we've all said that before. I love stealing new ideas from build threads but they're dangerous! Makes me think i can afford the time, money and maintenance of another monster reef, lol. Oh, and I think my husband got a little nervous when he saw the setup in your basement and hole in your floor. He gave me the look. Can't wait to see what you fill that thing with!

Labsalesguy

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks Good Greef- yeah that is a nice tank. SkyDiv- yes I went with a 5 foot tank for a few reasons- 1. it fits the wall perfectly, and 2. i would like to have a few "mellow" tangs long term- maybe they would appreciate the extra space. BUT!!! I am not opposed to a 60 x 24 x 24 in the future as budget allows- I think the sump system can handle it.

here is the pic of the tank when I finished polishing it in my basement. previous owner in New Mexico took good care of it.
View attachment 16629

Labsalesguy

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here is an update - the GFI receptacle going in for the lights and in-tank pumps ( yes I did connect the ground wire:))
[attachment=65583:name]

next- I ran the flex PVC. Now I am going to have my basement wall re-textured (someday) and place an access panel in the ceiling below the tank. so not worried about cutting walls:
[attachment=65585:name]

So the Filter room ( AKA mechanical) is to my back- I have ran the pipe into the soffit, they do a smooth 90, and to the mechanical room behind me.
there are QTY 2 1 1/4 inch dranins, and one 1 inch return.

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice work. Your wife is a saint to allow you to cut up the house like that. :)

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
GWA is following right along. Lookin sweet so far.

Labsalesguy

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tank Build update. I have got alot done but not posted. Here are the two drains and a return coming into the mechanical room. Also Glass Holes overflow installation.
[attachment=65710:name]

Labsalesguy

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
And here is the sump room completed with plumbing. First I placed High gloss backer board on the wall, installed new GFI, and caulked all the joints (even around the outlet. Then I built a 6 foot sump table so that all maintenance can be done at waist level. I have quick disconnects on the drains and return, and also installed a t and ball valve below the table for water changes you can see in last picture. It took me quite a while to think how I really wanted this area. There is now a 29 gallon aquaruin underneath the pump area filling with RODI water.
[attachment=65716:name]

Labsalesguy

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
here is a picture underneath the stand- quick disconnect and over-sized unions (1.5 inch) so flow isn't restricted and drain noise is minimal. These are also nice for when I have to vacuum the sand on occasion. Also a picture of my RODI setup. The drain is now going into the 29 gallon mentioned above.
I have to say..great to have water station and sump in basement if you can make it work. Water supply and drain right there.
[attachment=65718:name]

Labsalesguy

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So here is a picture of the sump/ refugium and skimmer area. I had Plasticare cut and polish a top acrylic plate for me to help reduce evaporation. You can see in the picture where I added handles and smal acrylic cubes for the top to lay on.

Question: what do you guys think of the two trays I have laying in the refugium area? I was thinking of making them a remote live Deep Sand Beds because I want only an inch or two in the main tank. Also if there is a problem they are easy to remove?
[attachment=65720:name]

Awesome- I am definitely following along to see what's next!