Labsalesguy 120 Build Thread

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I like the idea of the containers but I do have to ask why 2 small ones and not 1 big one?

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Tapatalk

Labsalesguy

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Actually i just had the 2 containers laying around. I can claim that the plan was to alternate them out etc. but that wouldnt be true! :)
RODI almost done. Should i heat then add salt, or add salt then heat?

Nice build...

Subcribed

:couch2:

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Wow sweet setup for sure!!!! Looks like you did a great job running the lines through the floor and such. Oh and I also love the sump layout and size too.

* for what its worth I might not use those plastic tubs as they may leach phosphates. rather I would either fabricate yourself or have fabricated a bin out of acrylic just like the sump is made of. just my random thoughts and opinion hope it helps

* Nick with Ambrosio Aquatics can def build you one if you need one built. Heck I could probably even give you the amount of plastic you need to make a couple of them out my garage :D

good read http://www.3reef.com/forums/general-reef-topics/reef-safe-plastics-leaching-myths-facts-57828.html

Labsalesguy

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thank you for the recommendation! perhaps I should use acrylic or glass for the DSB trays. Here are pics of RODI holding tank, and a shot of dry rock and sand going in. I plan to add live rock in the sump and behind the arches in the display tank picture...tank is full now, pumps and heaters running. Just stirred up dry sandbed.
[attachment=65732:name]

Yay! Sand - it's coming along now. I love the stand. Keep the updates coming!

Hodge Podge

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just subscribed. Great build and set up so far!

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Your RODI holding tank isn't leaking is it? Looks like water droplets under the tank. Let us know.

V
GWA

Labsalesguy

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks fishguy. I had a hose come loose while emptying it into the sump above, and get the piece of scrap carpet wet that the tank is sitting on.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good to know. I don't like leaks myself even though they do happen. LOL

Labsalesguy

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
thanks martinsreef. So here are some more pics. Here is my base rock work complete. tank is filled and cycling. It is about 60% dry rock, and 40% live rock. Most of the live came from Aquatic Art last weekend. The sand is about 40% live.

My goal with the aquascape: create lots of STABLE caves, bridges and hiding spots. Also leave plateaus for eventual corals, but also space for exposed sand. The dry rock has some acrylic rod sections to create some arches.
[attachment=65856:name]

Labsalesguy

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
And here is a picture of my sump running. I elected to go with a large glass bowl for a remote deep sand bed. Sand bed is live - some random pieces of live rock. I will add macros, some more live rock in this chamber with light opposite of display.

You can see my Octopus SRO1000SSS running in the back. I am playing with the gate valve settings - but i think the skimmer depth may be too deep-the foam doesnt want to keep a stable height, so i may have to prop it up on some eggcrate layers, and check with gradual valve adjustments.

The second picture shows me getting the Salinity (via conductivity measurement) closer to what I am aiming for. 43.782mS/cm should be approaching close to 1.0225- depending on whose chart you view. My goal is 1.0230 since its a FOWLR. With my OCD, I may check this against a refractometer.

pH measured also.

[attachment=65858:name]

RuRoo

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I love that bowl with sand and rock. I hope you leave it in there.

Labsalesguy

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks RuRoo. I want a DSB, but also wanted to remove if needed. So here is a pic of the hood/canopy that i built. The top panel is removable, so i can add more lights as necessary. And starting as a FOWLR I only have the one light. This weekend i will paint it black to match the stand, and put the small doors on. Its a little different with the light mounted on top, but it sure stays cool and clean, the height is just right, and I can run the light program with my remote.
[attachment=65878:name]

Labsalesguy

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here is the Skimmer skimmin'!! Its been pulling sludge since i started it with the live sand and rock addition. So the Salt was added on Jan 1st, live rock and sand on the 4th. dead shrimp on the 5th, more live rock on the 11th along with some tiny hermits. More live rock in the sump yesterday. will run tests again this eve to see where the tank is at. I find keeping an excel spreadsheet makes life easy.
[attachment=65879:name]

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you want one, I have a excel spreadsheet thats pretty B.A. Aquarium Log. PM me with your email if you want a copy.

Great to see your progress! Keep it coming!