Neogenix's "It Keeps Getting Bigger" Build

Hey Guys!

So a week and a half after deciding to pull out my 10 gallon tank, I now have an office full of equipment! Few more things to grab but I'll use this thread to show progress! Let me know if you have any ideas, comments, etc! Always keen for help!!

So far I've gotten the following bits:

* 1x ~110 gallon acrylic tank (48x18x30)
* 1x 40 gallon breeder (glass, sump)
* 2x AI Sol Blue modules
* 1x AI new controller
* 1x Eshopps PSK-150 skimmer
* 2x BRS dosing pumps

I'm planning a DIY stand so I can make it wider than the tank for extra working space, and then I'm planning on making some drop on sides that clip in place covered in backsplash tile to make them look neat.

At this rate I'm going to add one more sol module as the tanks pretty epicly deep and I'd like clams! (Who doesn't like clams??)

The remaining purchases are:

* power heads (likely wp40's)
* return pump (likely dc9000)
* heaters (likely 2)
* reactors for carbon, gfo, bio pellets
* plumbing parts
* refugium lighting
* rodi system
* auto top off (maybe the controllers job?)
* controller (likely reef angel)
* skim mate storage
* auto fish feeders
* water storage and mixing, etc...

Initially while it's getting up and going it'll be a FOWLR and then at some point it'll likely be an SPS tank...

So, here's a pic of the tank, it needs a cleaning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Those are some good aquascaping dimensions! Nice lookin' tank, and seems like a solid plan. Can't wait to see this up and running.

So, Update...

Stand (and System) Design :
--------------------------------

So, I've been giving this a lot of thought, and I'm leaning somewhere that I find interesting...

Given that the tank is 48"x18"x30" wide, it's going to be pretty important that I can get to the sides easily enough, and I really want more space than a 48"x18" stand can provide. I'm planning a DIY stand (similar to this one: http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16091&d=1381981012)... Then it occurred to me that I can make the stand significantly longer... and provide myself some interesting options. So I've settled on the idea of making 3 stands, but that behave as 1 stand. The current dimensions are 96"x24"x30". I'm planning on splitting this stand up into 3 parts. 1 main part of 48"x24"x30", and then two parts of equal 24"x24"x30" (one to go on either side of the main stand). The 40 gallon breeder will be the main sump, and afford me a remaining space of 12"x24" for reactors or even electrical bits. One side will be used for dosing chemicals / additives, and top up water storage, as well as just general storage for test kits, and fragging supplies. The other side I'm thinking would be perfect for a 24"x24"x24" frag tank. Assuming that I can put the right bits in place, I should be able to disconnect these items and move the sub-stands aside for major maintenance (and removing the sump, or whatever, should I need to).

I'm planning on building out a frame for the lighting based on extruded aluminum, and having the controllers for all the assorted system parts mounted internally within the stand. The tops of the stand will either be tiled, or sealed. The whole stand should be at least sealed properly, and painted over with neverwet. Instead of covering the stand front and sides I'm planning on making mounted side panels that are tiled over, or properly trimmed and painted. I'm still trying to decide between a tiled stand vs a properly painted and trimmed stand, and if I should cover the top, or leave it open.

I've talked with a builder / construction friend about the weight and distribution which has lead to moving the tank to somewhere more suitable, but giving me a much longer wall to work with. At the same time I've talked about running through the floor to water access (for R/O, Salt, etc...). Not sure if I'll end up doing that, but we'll see!

I may start with just the main 48"x24"x30 stand, and go from there next to the bigger stand, but we'll see!

For the plumbing, I'm planning on shipping the return 2 ways. One will return to the tank, one will return to a refugium (10g-20g) in the sump as a different tank, and then the third will be a manifold between the refugium return, and the main line which will drive the reactors. The DC9000 has the ability to drive up to 2377 GPH, assuming that I need 1100 for the main tank, and removing 400 for head pressure, that leaves about 800GPH, giving me 200/reactor (GFO, Carbon) and then 400 going to the refugium. At some point I may grab a DC6000 and move the reactors and refugium to it's own return when I add biopellets and the frag tank.

Sorry for all the wordyness! :) Comments? Questions?

Stuff:
------

Picked up (or ordered) the following items :
* Dry Live Rock (110#)
* BRS Reactor(s) (2) - GFO and Carbon
* Jebao WP40 (2) - In-tank Flow
* Jebao DC9000 (1) - Return

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm following along.

A couple questions:
Are the side stands going to be removable? How? Will they have doors?

Are you putting foam under the tank?

Are you doing a canopy? Is light spill going to be a concern?

If you do the basement sump, will the dc9000 be enough? How will you compensate?

Are you hard or soft plumbing? How will this affect spacing under your main stand and manifold?

Not trying to sound mean, just trying to get your gears turning. Also some preliminary drawings/sketches/SketchUp would not only help you out, but keep my craving for pics at ease :D

Sent from my tablet using a rock and chisel

H2O_intolerant;295175 said:
I'm following along.
Happy to have you! Keep the questions coming!!!

Are the side stands going to be removable? How? Will they have doors?
Yes, through no method other than they'll just be disparate stands that I'm going to attempt to make look *like* they're one stand, but really it'll be 3.

Are you putting foam under the tank?
Yes sir!

Are you doing a canopy? Is light spill going to be a concern?
Torn about the canopy, but will likely end up with one, and will likely block the sides (blue) and to discourage the cats from sleeping and abusing the fishies.

If you do the basement sump, will the dc9000 be enough? How will you compensate?
Not really planning a basement sump, but rather a sump under the primary stand. The water storage will likely be in the basement at this rate, and dosing pumps (50ml+) have a much more pleasant head distance.

Are you hard or soft plumbing? How will this affect spacing under your main stand and manifold?
Hard with a little bit of soft. I had an entirely soft and entirely hard before, and the hard was wayyyyy more pleasant to work with at the time.

Not trying to sound mean, just trying to get your gears turning. Also some preliminary drawings/sketches/SketchUp would not only help you out, but keep my craving for pics at ease :D
Hahah! No please, ask away! I've been trying to fight with Sketchup for a while. I've been in IT for ages, but have managed to (for all these years) avoid the sketchup... apparently not for much longer.

I'm planning on fighting with it while I'm on my trip the next 2 weeks (off to philly and london for work).

H2O_intolerant;295177 said:
One more question, how tall is your stand going to be?
I'm thinking about 30" at the moment. The skimmer is 22" tall, and the tank is 30" tall. which made me think that 5ft is probably a good viewing height for the top of the combo should I do a hood.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
neogenix;295179 said:
I'm thinking about 30" at the moment. The skimmer is 22" tall, and the tank is 30" tall. which made me think that 5ft is probably a good viewing height for the top of the combo should I do a hood.
Is 8" enough space to get your skimmer in/out of your sump? Can you empty the collection cup? Will you have tubing running from the cup?

Don't fight it brah, love it.

If I had a computer I'd be happy to help, but no computer (I know I know, who has a tablet and no computer. Well, this guy apparently)

Sent from my tablet using a rock and chisel

Last edited by a moderator:
H2O_intolerant;295180 said:
Is 8" enough space to get your skimmer in/out of your sump? Can you empty the collection cup? Will you have tubing running from the cup?
It *should* be. The cup is pretty small, and even looking at something like a NAC9 the skimmer (including the cup) is 22", so it should be 'future-proof-ish'. There won't be any piping, and there won't be a swabbie or such initially, but maybe down the line. Even then though, it should be enough... At worst I could give the stand a few more inches to make sure that I had clearance... good idea!

H2O_intolerant;295180 said:
Don't fight it brah, love it.

If I had a computer I'd be happy to help, but no computer (I know I know, who has a tablet and no computer. Well, this guy apparently)
Hah! It seems that some of the simple stuff is evading me at the moment. Watching the videos, and then hopefully I'll get the hang of it!

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
You'll want enough room to remove all elements of the sump completely, without hassle. The skimmer, for example, will need taken offline and cleaned periodically, not just the skimmer cup. And you'll want to be able to take it out and put a new one in without pulling out the entire sump (malfunctions or upgrades). I know from experience that 8" isn't enough. You wouldn't regret doubling that.

FinsUp!;295209 said:
You'll want enough room to remove all elements of the sump completely, without hassle. The skimmer, for example, will need taken offline and cleaned periodically, not just the skimmer cup. And you'll want to be able to take it out and put a new one in without pulling out the entire sump (malfunctions or upgrades). I know from experience that 8" isn't enough. You wouldn't regret doubling that.
That's a good point. I may bump the stand to 36" now, but it's going to be even more of a pita to get in... Me and my ideas of getting a 48...

sethsolomon;295229 said:
Subscribing!!! That tank is a sweet size!
Thanks!! I may not be that excited about it after a few months of clambering up a ladder to get in. :)

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
neogenix;295267 said:
That's a good point. I may bump the stand to 36" now, but it's going to be even more of a pita to get in... Me and my ideas of getting a 48.Thanks!! I may not be that excited about it after a few months of clambering up a ladder to get in. :)

Just think it could be worse you could need a snorkle mask like I downs stand on top of the ladder, it's all worth it in the end when you sit back drinking a beer and looking at the tank

Update:
---------

Stuff I Picked Up Recently:
------------------------------

* 1x 29G Tank + Cover + Filter
* 1x Small CPR AquaFuge
* 3x AI Sol Blue
* 1x Iwaki 70 (Japanese Motor)
* 1x BRS 150GPD 5 Stage RODI (with all the bits and pieces)
* 2x 55G Open Top Barrel
* And Mag, Cal, Containers, etc...

(I also convinced myself I needed a bunch of Clamps, 18v Makita Tools, etc...)

Build Progress:
-----------------

I got a few extra bits and pieces, and made a lot of progress in general.

* 29 Gallon tank and filters (and HOB refugium) for a QT tank
** Made a stand for it, which is my first aquarium stand, yay!

Here's the finished product:
[attachment=66644:name]

* Started working on my Saltwater Mixing station.
** It's going to be 2x 55G open top barrels, on a stand in the basement
** Using Iwaki 70 (Japanese Motor) to do the mixing and water shuffling
** My 150GPD is going to be mounted on a frame and set into the float valve
** I'm going to have an output that can be attached to a tube that I can pump the water upstairs
** 1/4in. tubes will run upstairs to dosing pumps to do ATO, and automatic water changes
** A timer will turn a koralia evolution on periodically, and a heater on periodically to keep the salt suspended, and the water at the right temp

Here're some examples of what I have in mind:
[attachment=66647:name]
And, here's the throws of the stand:
[attachment=66646:name]

* Tank, Sump...
** The stand is coming along, but I'm far from done done yet, and then the tank will be assembled in the basement and I'll run water through it.

Update on automation:
--------------------------
Here's my current automation / power plan:

* Notes:
** I'm torn between a ReefAngel, and an APEX... I've mailed this off to each company to see how they respond.
** I may choose to not add the 3 extra dosing pumps and buy a set dosing system instead for the chemicals, like these perhaps ($140!!!) - http://www.fish-street.com/fs_nt-01dosing_pump?category_id=139
** I'm thinking these for the ATO, and automated water changes - http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/rigging/ATO-Diaphragm-Pump
** I'll likely use a DJ strip for the non-switched outlets, perhaps something like this - http://www.amazon.com/American-Pc-1...F8&qid=1396930138&sr=8-2&keywords=american+dj
** If I end up getting an APEX I'll likely use a RA cable to control the Jebao's
** I'll have a number of alarms set too, so emails and text messages galore when evil things happen
** I'm going to use a horizontal float switch for the RO / Saltwater barrels, like these perhaps - http://www.chicagosensor.com/Horizontal-Mount_Plastic_Float_Switches.html

Here're the things I'd like to control:

* 2x Heaters (switched outlet)
* 2x Jebao WP-40 (controllable, non-switched outlet)
* 1x Jebao DC9000 (controllable, non-switched outlet)
* 1x Dosing pump for ATO (switched outlet)
* 2x Dosing pump for automated water changes (switched outlet)
* 3x AI Sol Blue modules (dimming control, non-switched outlet)
* 1x Protein skimmer pump (switched outlet, non-controllable)
* 1x Fan for cooling (switched outlet)
* 1x Refugium light (non-switched outlet)
* 3x Dosing pumps (switched outlet, chemicals)

I'd like to be able to monitor/watch the following things:

* PH
* Temperature
* ORP
* Salinity
* High water float switch in the sump
* Low water float switch in the sump
* Float switch in the saltwater barrel (around 15ft away)
* Float switch in the RO storage barrel (around 15ft away)

Functions I'd like to do:

* I'd like to be able to disable the skimmer for a few hours a day
* I'd like to be able to control the lights throughout the day (ramp up and down)
* I'd like to be able to control the heaters based on the temp sensor (low temp)
* I'd like to be able to control the fan based on the temp sensor (high temp)
* I'd like to be able to disable the return, skimmer and ATO when feeding
* I'd like to be able to be able to turn on the dosing pumps for chemicals a few minutes per hour

* I'd like to be able to initiate an *automated* water change, and change a set amount based on time
* I'd like to be able to disable the *automated* water change when the float switch shows low
* I'd like to be able to disable the *automated* water change when the saltwater barrel float switch shows low

* I'd like to be able to disable the ATO when doing an *automated* water change
* I'd like to be able to disable the ATO when the salinity shows low and add saltwater to raise
* I'd like to be able to disable the ATO when the sump low float switch shows low
* I'd like to be able to disable the ATO when the sump float shows high
* I'd like to be able to disable the ATO when the RO storage barrel float switch shows low

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
If you get the wp-40's get the linked controller. I recently upgraded from 40's to 60's with the controller and have a 2" wave in my tank. Really happy with it so far.

MuralReef;303776 said:
If you get the wp-40's get the linked controller. I recently upgraded from 40's to 60's with the controller and have a 2" wave in my tank. Really happy with it so far.
I got the WP40's, and was considering the linked controller, but then I've sort of settled on getting a *real* controller instead, and connecting them up. I'm glad I made a good choice though, given your good words about them!