Quest Library RedSea XXL750

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I like the "lighting experiment" lol. It looks good! Maybe a little lesson for all of us to keep our hands out of our tanks a little bit?
Classroom while seemingly dirtier actually had significantly less cyano and was algae free except for the glass.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I like the "lighting experiment" lol. It looks good! Maybe a little lesson for all of us to keep our hands out of our tanks a little bit?
Just glad I had that 350 tuna blue laying around.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
A little update. Things have been filling in nicely.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Didn’t realize how much everything had grown!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So the impressive growth came to an abrupt halt over winter break with a trusty Red Sea clogged ATO and a coworker with a false positive that forced me to not be able to check on the tank for two weeks. At some point we will be hacking up a bunch of dead corals but we still have a lot of stuff that is doing well. Especially this beauty. View attachment 18428 View attachment 18429

scmountain

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
that angel looks great! sorry to hear the terrible timing of Covid scare/ clogged ATO. Was it a kalkwasser clog?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
that angel looks great! sorry to hear the terrible timing of Covid scare/ clogged ATO. Was it a kalkwasser clog?
No just RO top off. Tank was probably 2” low and super cold due to being cut off from the heater in the sump. So there was a temp swing and salinity swing.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
This tank never really recovered after the precious Covid/summer/ato issues. Was overgrown with algae, which clogged the overflows and messed up the water level and ato etc etc.

Tank is getting a complete reboot. Remaining fish were moved to the lobby shark tank, and we pulled out all the rock to scrub it as much as possible. Also removed the sand as this tank will now be bare bottom.

This is the fish club kids project for the year. They’re gonna stock it and learn the fish and coral selection process.

New bare bottom and rock formation

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
100% water change looks good

Equipment was all thoroughly cleaned too.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
And the Apex is no longer “running” the tank and will be up for sale soon.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Pretty big changes for this tank.

We moved it to a different location in the building, which was an insanely stressful process on its own.

Then the quest fish club kids met with a biologist at Quality Marine to come up with a stocking plan. Quality donated the fish they chose together, and they all arrived about a week ago.

Gonna have to figure out how to get a tang or rabbitfish in here, and the one Quality Marine sent only lived a couple days.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
No more photos without naming the inhabitants. Once you start, you cannot stop. Post names of the fish and even the hair algae, or your posting privs are suspended. :)

FWIW - hair algae names are limited to 80s Hair Bands or the members.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Fish at the school have to prove they can last a month before getting a name. But names should be forthcoming for all the fish pictured here in the next couple weeks.

Mike doesn’t get naming privileges. Ask him the name of the checkerboard wrasse in his classroom.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President

Fish at the school have to prove they can last a month before getting a name. But names should be forthcoming for all the fish pictured here in the next couple weeks.

Mike doesn’t get naming privileges. Ask him the name of the checkerboard wrasse in his classroom.

What? No one said they needed to be school appropriate?