Size doesn't matter build

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Tank update time! Looks like a lot of photos were lost, unfortunately I don’t have backups. But I have some new ones!

I recently added an Avast Kalk Stirrer which is using a BRS dosing pump to add the kalkwasser to the tank. So far everything has responded very well. The kalk stirrer is replacing a 4 head dosing pump, and those are the only pieces of new equipment I have added!

Clown harem stands at 13. I occasionally feel like I have identified the female, and then I lose her in the herd. I have 5 nems that they swim to and care for. Territorial aggression seems to be pretty low. Occasionally I will see a fish dart across the tank, but I don’t see nipped fins or fatalities. And the population at 13 has been stable for well over a year.

D0725BD4-3564-40E3-A418-AF2BA389A5A6.jpeg
803996EB-C5CD-4ACD-8706-BF3E0105A42E.jpeg
C28DBFB8-96F9-46AC-84BC-BDD237516EDB.jpeg
2C3D7A42-D2BB-427D-811C-58DDE5FBF66A.jpeg
189F5642-897E-47DE-83FB-6086F569161A.jpeg
9B8256DB-603B-497A-B3ED-5CBB0EB28C52.jpeg

vines

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks! I was recently laid off at work, so I have more time to work on the tank. The pendulum has definitely swung the other way, where now I worry I'm too hands on. But I'm happy with it's progress!
This has been my problem, working from home I have nothing but to look at my reef tank and tinker if I’m not doing work…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kalkwasser was really easy to implement. It does max out but it usually takes a while before that happens. Then you can fire up the CaRx.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I guess it’s about time for a yearly update, lol. I took a bunch of photos I’ll post below. Overall im really happy with how the tank is running. I’m at 13 clown fish, and they are getting pretty decent sized. Several months ago I was seeing some aggregation in the harem, I really struggled with what to do. Ultimately I moved some rock work around, moved some corals and it seems to have disrupted territories enough to reduce the aggregation. I will probably continue to move stuff around as aggression ebbs and flows.

DSC05309.jpeg
Full Tank Shot

DSC05284.jpeg
Stripper Lips shrooms

DSC05285.jpeg
Hammers

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
DSC05297.jpeg
Bugatti Chalice (that I probably cropped too close)

DSC05294.jpeg
AA sold these to me as “Denver Broncos” shrooms

DSC05293.jpeg
Sunkist Bounces

Last edited:

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
It’s been a long time since I’ve really added anything new in terms of equipment. But today I’m adding a new Apex! My old Apex Jr. that I got from @Andrew_bram seems to have a malfunctioning outlet. I was doing a water change the other day and I kept hearing a “clicking” sound. Turns out the Apex Jr. was turning the Plank auto feeder on and off like 3 times every 10 seconds or so. That was dispensing a “metric crap ton” of food into the food mixing chamber. Luckily I caught it before the mixing pump fired up for the morning and was able to stop literally 1/2 a cup of pellets from getting dispersed into the tank! That was enough of a warning to me to replace the Apex. I found a good deal on Facebook marketplace, but had to drive to Cheyenne to get it. Never fear @JuanGutz and @Dr.DiSilicate approved the purchase, so my wife really had no ground to be pissed at me :p

Apex was brand new, but was in storage for a while. Time to get this thing fired up!

IMG_6441.jpeg

IMG_6442.jpeg

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
It was actually pretty easy! Funny how I had all these good intentions of reworking the cords into nice neat wire looms. That plan lasted for about 30 seconds. Still looks like a bowl of spaghetti exploded back there. But everything is operational!

This Apex had a pH, ORP, salinity, and obviously a temp probe. I’ve never monitored ORP or salinity before……. So fancy!