The Etoimos 270g FOWLR build

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I'm using the free hobbyist version. They say it is just a 1 year subscription, but I've seen on forums that you can just up it again for more time. If you want to get started using that program, then a guy name Lars Christensen has some really good video on how to do almost everything.
Ya you can re-up the hobbyist license once a year. They make you answer some questions about what you are using it for and then its extended. I just happened to re-up my recently

Etoimos

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
A couple of small updates. Last night I temporarily hooked up my BRS 75gpd Water Saver kit and their Booster Pump kit to my existing RODI system. I went from making 25g of RODI water in 24 hours to making 25g in about 3.5 hours!

It is a mess right now and is driving my OCD mad. But I needed to be able to speed up water production so I could fill this up:

I'm not exactly sure when my aquarium is going to show up, so I thought I should go ahead and get my rocks into some water to help move things along. I only have the 25g reservoir right now, so it is still a slow process. Hopefully I'll have the stock tank filled by tonight. My 100g reservoirs are suppose to ship on Monday, so maybe I'll have them towards the end of next week.

My buddy is also going to help me drywall in the fish room later today, so once the bigger reservoirs show up I can relocate my RODI system out there and get serious about making some water.

Etoimos

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm making progress on the dray wall. I've got all the joints taped and mudded with at least one coat of mud. The outside lower joints have two on them. I know now why I did not become a professional dry-waller.... cause I suck at it!

I'm not planning painting the outside as the rest of the garage is not painted. I am going to be painting the inside however. Also got my lights installed in the fish room. They are connected to a smart outlet and motion detector. No need to run wiring for a light switch (but I still have to wire a plug over on that wall to plug them and my room fan and RODI pumps into). It also means I don't have to turn a light on when I'm carrying something in there. I have it programed to turn off 15 minutes after it stops sensing motion. That way it does not turn off if I'm stationary in there while working on something.

I did drive up north to pick up my skimmer and temporary sump from Chris Brown over the weekend (Thanks for everything Chris, it was nice meeting you!). No pics of the sump, but here is the beat of a skimmer:

My plans are to finish mudding and sanding the walls this week and hopefully get the fish room painted this weekend. I need to start getting things inside of it so I can straighten up the garage some!

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya, I hate drywall too, especially the sanding part lol

Etoimos

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Still mudding and sanding, so not a lot to update on. However, we picked up the chairs that will be going in the sitting room for the tank today. We had some nice, but older, leather chairs reupholstered. The Wife loves them, so that is a win for me!

Etoimos

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, I just got this update on my tank from Planet:

"They are waiting for glass to come in for this tank. They have NO completion date listed at this time."

At 8 weeks in, I feel they should have mentioned not having the glass yet to even start the build.

Etoimos

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
From what I have seen and heard. Planet can actually build the tanks pretty fast. Have you already put a deposit down?
Yes, a 50% deposit with my LFS (ReefKoi). Chris has already said I could cancel it if I wanted to.

The other manufacture that I reached out to is slightly more expensive the same size tank, but is 5-8 weeks out.

Etoimos

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, the punches keep on coming. I called to check on the status of the RODI reservoir tanks that I ordered on 12Feb since they had not shown up. They informed me today that the ones I ordered were not actually in stock and so had not been shipped. Wait, what? I switched from the 105g tanks to the 100g because they told me they were in stock! I had even called back on 25Feb to check on them and they said they were going on the truck the next day. When I asked why no one called to tell me they were out of stock and not shipped, they said cause I never told them I did not receive them! what the heck. I've got to call you and tell you that you never shipped me something?

So now the customer service lady is check all her warehouses and stores to see if any 100g or 105g tanks are in stock. If not, I'm back to waiting 6~10 weeks for them to make the tanks.

Etoimos

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just saw that Chris sent me an email today with an update from Planet:

"They are shooting for the 24th completion but it more than likely will be the 31st truck it will be loaded on."

That should put it at his store on the 2nd and I'd pick it up on the 3rd.

Etoimos

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, the punches keep on coming. I called to check on the status of the RODI reservoir tanks that I ordered on 12Feb since they had not shown up. They informed me today that the ones I ordered were not actually in stock and so had not been shipped. Wait, what? I switched from the 105g tanks to the 100g because they told me they were in stock! I had even called back on 25Feb to check on them and they said they were going on the truck the next day. When I asked why no one called to tell me they were out of stock and not shipped, they said cause I never told them I did not receive them! what the heck. I've got to call you and tell you that you never shipped me something?

So now the customer service lady is check all her warehouses and stores to see if any 100g or 105g tanks are in stock. If not, I'm back to waiting 6~10 weeks for them to make the tanks.
Plastic-Mart (which is the same thing as tank-depot.com btw) called me the other day.. They found a store in OK that had 18 of the 105g reservoirs that I originally wanted in stock and two of them will be shipping to me next Tuesday/Wednesday and should only take few days to get to me. Apparently when I first tried to order these, they were not in stock anywhere, but a shipment was already headed to this store.

Even better news today as I got the shipment notification for the two tanks, I might have them by the end of the week.

Etoimos

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
This was a pretty productive weekend for the build. I got most of the painting done in the fish room.
I started with a couple of coats of Killz All primer on the new drywall and a quick coat on the old painted drywall cause I already had it in the paint pan.

Next up was cutting in all the corners and around the outlets. I'm replacing the outlets and covers with black ones, so I was not worried about getting paint on them.

I've always wanted to try my hand at painting some stripes in a room, so I figured this would be a good time to test my skills. I mean, if it comes out like crap it is only in the fish room and I'll pretty much be the only person that ever has to look at it.

The first step in painting stripes is laying out the tape. I used a laser level on a photography light stand to layout the bottom line first.

I'm going to be doing two 4" stripes, one red and one black. To get an even distance, I just had to raise the light stand up eight inches and apply more tape.

All done with the first round of taping.

The trick to getting good crisp lines is to paint over the tape with the base all color. This seals the tape to the wall and the bleed though is the same color as the rest of the wall, so you can't see it.

I did get 2 coats of red laid down, but it is still drying so I'll have to finish up the stripes after work this week.

While I waited on some of the paint to dry, I went ahead and dyed my unions for the plumbing. Here they all are disassembled and ready to be dyed black.

And here they all are after dyeing.

I still need to put some dye on the bottom sides of some of the parts, but I'm letting them dry overnight before doing that.

With all the time and work I put into the fish room this weekend, I thought it only fair that I took a break and took the family to see the new 16k gallon saltwater tank at the new Scheels in Colorado Springs.

Anyone know what this one is? The Wife like it.

She also liked these little black and white fish, but I don't know what they are either.

They had a several of my favorite fish, the Dasjardini Sailfin Tang.

I did find it a little interesting that saw now clown fish, yellow tangs or blue hippo tangs. I can understand the yellow tangs in the current state of the world, but the other two you would think would be staples for public displays with kids around.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
The one your wife likes is a Vlamingi tang. They are a pretty large and active swimmer.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado