BlazinJacks big tank build discussion!

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;310110 said:
rock looks good. Glad to see it running! what's an australian stripy fish?
Look it up on live Aquaria. They are close to butterfly family, but not. Very cool, active fish!
In fact all of my fish have been active and out during the day for me, which is something I've never had before! I've got a few more fish in mind for this tank:
Current s tock includes:
Scopas tang
Australian stripy
Yellow wrasse
Mystery wrasse
Royal gramma
Green/blue chromis
large yellow tail damsel (in sump)
Large true perc (in sump)

Future additions:
Red sea tang
Pair of mandarins
Pair of clowns with nem
Sand goby
Thanks everyone for the compliments!

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok, so I've decided I'm running a kalk stirrer in line from my top off water. The cylinder I got is huge! It probably holds 5 gallons. I've got it all plumbed in, but I'm not sure how much kalk to put in it? How do I determine how much to put in?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
well max you can dissolve into water I believe is 2 tsp per gallon, although ive never used a stirrer so not sure if you can put more, but one thing is for sure, start small and work up to more as needed or risk frying everything in the tank. Id say start with 1 tsp per 5 g and slowly work up till you see the numbers on your tank stabilize for calc, alk and ph

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Blazinjack;310707 said:
Ok, so I've decided I'm running a kalk stirrer in line from my top off water. The cylinder I got is huge! It probably holds 5 gallons. I've got it all plumbed in, but I'm not sure how much kalk to put in it? How do I determine how much to put in?
I think you put a bunch in. I know Craig runs one the way you are describing. Be sure you have a failsafe auto top off so it doesn't get stuck on. You may want to run it with a timer, either with your auto top off or in defendant. I like the later better as it has lass of a chance to fail.

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Chris Capp also runs them with his calcium reactor on all his tanks. Maybe a trip to aquatic art would be a good idea

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Jack, my reactor, and system, isn't as big as yours, but you can modify to get it tuned in. The nice thing about kalk stirrer's is that you can just add more if it uses more than you planned. Mine is pretty well dialed in, so my measurements are based on what i use in about 4 weeks. I clean out, and reload the stirrer every 4 weeks. After a month to 6 weeks of use, kalk isn't as "fresh" and has quite a bit of impurity's left, changing your actual dosing. You could just keep adding to the reactor, but the impurities will eventually build up.
I load my Kalk stirrer with about 1.5 cups of Kalk. I mix it as a slury, adding the 1.5 cups to about a quart or two of water (water first) mix it up, and add that to my stirrer (make sure you have enough room in the stirrer as to not overflow back into the system before it can settle to the bottom of the reactor).
I don't use my reactor for total top off. I have a secondary ATO that picks up the extra volume. I don't remember if your running a controller, but if you do, you can dial in exactly how much kalk your adding, and adjust when your CA, and ALK start to fluctuate do to coral growth, or general need for adjustment.
If you need more help, or want to know specifics, give me a buzz. I can swing by, and give you a hand.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Doin some work today. Got my top off and salt mix stand built. Also got the tanks painted.

Also got the old stand down here to be used as a fragging, test kit, and general work area. It'll be right next to the other stand.
It'll have tank water plumbed to it so I can dip and acclimate down here.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
J.guokas;311605 said:
Everything doing alright since the incident the other day?
Yeah, tank cleared up in about a day, and there werent any casualties! Kalk reactor is off line until I can figure out what to do about it. I just got new chems for my red sea kits today, so I'm gonna run a full run and see where I need to go.
BTW: got my own notes, I'm running a brs full of carbon, GFO, and about 500ml of bio pellets. I'm also dosing 25ml a day of vodka. Last tests indicated 3 ppm nitrate, and .08 phosphates, but the chems were expired...

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just Curious, what are the expiration dates on your Red Sea kits? I never paid close enough attention when i first got my kits, and only had them 6 months before they were expired.. Every kit I see on the shelf has short expiration dates. I like the kits, but there not cheap, especially if they are good for less than a year.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
They were from 2012. I won them at reef stock in 2011. You can just buy new liquids on BRS for way cheaper then buying the whole new kit.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FishTV;312153 said:
Just Curious, what are the expiration dates on your Red Sea kits? I never paid close enough attention when i first got my kits, and only had them 6 months before they were expired.. Every kit I see on the shelf has short expiration dates. I like the kits, but there not cheap, especially if they are good for less than a year.
I honestly didn't look at the new ones yet though. As soon as I look I'll let you know