BlazinJacks big tank build discussion!

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have heard of people cycling with tap water but what would worry me is starting out with a nasty algae outbreak from using tap. I don't know if that would be an issue or not.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Alrighty! First batch of rock has been put in saltwater in the 100 tub. I currently have the salinity at 1.016. (~20ppt) is that enough to cycle it or should I raise it a bit?
Second batch is outside in bleach water. It will be added to the tub after bleach, muriatic acid wash, then prime soaked.

"60% of the time; it works every time!"

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
NICE!!!
We just tore down my tank and completely rebuilt it. Can't wait to get water made so we can get it up and running again. I dunno how you can be so patient during this build. I'm antsy to see what you do with your rockwork!

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
CindyL;265146 said:
NICE!!!
We just tore down my tank and completely rebuilt it. Can't wait to get water made so we can get it up and running again. I dunno how you can be so patient during this build. I'm antsy to see what you do with your rockwork!
I'm patient because I have to be! 2 kids, busy weekends, and limited funds keep me there! But I just have to keep reminding myself that the more I plan and think about things, the better the build, and ultimately the less likely it'll be torn down due to crashing or a major mistake somewhere!!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You don't have to do the bleach if you are going to use muratic acid. Tap water is also for baths, initial fills and soakings - the N and P are not as much of an issue as the hardness and metals, but the water around here is very good and the miniscule amounts of metals will typically bind with some of the aragonite anyway. I just would not use tap for top-off and water changes, but some do and still have good results.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;265225 said:
You don't have to do the bleach if you are going to use muratic acid. Tap water is also for baths, initial fills and soakings - the N and P are not as much of an issue as the hardness and metals, but the water around here is very good and the miniscule amounts of metals will typically bind with some of the aragonite anyway. I just would not use tap for top-off and water changes, but some do and still have good results.
I use bleach to actually bleach the rock white. Not really to kill anything. Then I muriatic acid wash to get the rock cleaner and to kill anything as well. It seems overkill, but I only muriatic acid washed the rock I'm currently using in the 40 and I can't get rid of the algae that's growing. So better safe than sorry on this batch. I did go ahead and use the dechlorinated tap water to cycle the rock. I'll just dump it and do a final tank fill with RODI when the time comes.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well I haven't updated this in a long time so I figured I would!
I've been super busy looking for a new job, working nights, and doing a bunch of other things, but I managed to get a stand built and the basement system started cycling

Ive been collecting equipment and getting my "honeydo" list done. One of which was putting hardwood floors in the front room

And finally I was able to paint the stand and get it and the tank in place!!

Chive on!

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Holy smokes I'm actually posting here again finally! Getting the plumbing done and support in for the weight of the tank, but I also test ran the full basement system today and found a few problems (as I expected)
I have a few questions:
Can I seal an acrylic tank with silicone? The frag tank I got had a small leak. My thought was toojust run a dead along the inside of all the seams to seal it.
Should I run algae scrubber then skimmers, or skimmers then algae scrubber?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Blazinjack;298316 said:
Holy smokes I'm actually posting here again finally! Getting the plumbing done and support in for the weight of the tank, but I also test ran the full basement system today and found a few problems (as I expected)
I have a few questions:
Can I seal an acrylic tank with silicone? The frag tank I got had a small leak. My thought was toojust run a dead along the inside of all the seams to seal it.
Should I run algae scrubber then skimmers, or skimmers then algae scrubber?
Why not just get some weld on 16? Has the consistency of silicone, but it actually binds to acrylic. Silicone works fine on sump baffles since the pressure is a lot lower, but doesnt work well for structural joints. If its a small enough hole, you should be fine for a year or so, but dont expect it to seal forever.

Optimists say the glass is half full. Pessimists say the glass is half empty. Engineers say the glass is twice the size that it needs to be.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;298539 said:
Why not just get some weld on 16? Has the consistency of silicone, but it actually binds to acrylic. Silicone works fine on sump baffles since the pressure is a lot lower, but doesnt work well for structural joints. If its a small enough hole, you should be fine for a year or so, but dont expect it to seal forever.

Optimists say the glass is half full. Pessimists say the glass is half empty. Engineers say the glass is twice the size that it needs to be.
Well I just sealed with silicone, as I've never worked with acrylic... I guessed we will see what happens, but if I get another leak or acrylic tank I'll follow your advice!