Diamond in the Rough

N1tew0lf1212

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
When the living room hits the fish room border and bounces back cause she can't be mad at me since she gave me permission....lol hahaha hope all is well everyone. My kids are growing up in the hobby and are apart of it everyday. And I couldn't ask for anything more.
20240731_215923.jpg

N1tew0lf1212

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Got some things fragged up today. Purple tip frogspawn and neon trumpets. So far so good gotta watch nutrients both of these colonies were a good size. So will be testing next couple of days and see if anything rises. Clownfish from @kchristensen8064 kchare doing very well. No fighting in here! Baby tang doing baby tang things. He is a goofball thats for sure! Hope all is well everyone. Happy Saturday!

20240803_185033.jpg 20240803_185023.jpg 20240803_185026.jpg 20240803_190113.jpg 20240803_185906.jpg 20240803_190037.jpg 20240803_185917.jpg

Attachments

N1tew0lf1212

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
When it rains it pours. Son got hurt in his game yesterday. Sprained knee smh. Also had a dosing pump get stuck in the on position and it dumped 450ml of vinegar into the lps frag and tidepool system. Came home from the ER to milky white tank and birdsnest chunks floating all over. 50% qater change and this morning everything is back clear again going to check parameters later today and pray that ph isnt still down. Dropped to a 5 when normally 8.2. Alk was up to 12 when normally 8.0 so probably do anotger 50% later today to be sure then test parameters. Increases oxygen through surface area and down flow into the sump. I am hoping I dont lose all frags of birdsnest in the frag system. 1 down so far. 20240908_113007.jpg 20240908_113107.jpg

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Bummer man! Thats the way it goes sometimes. Hope they got the kid all patched up good and hope the system bounces back quickly.

N1tew0lf1212

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Bummer man! Thats the way it goes sometimes. Hope they got the kid all patched up good and hope the system bounces back quickly.
He is doing ok bummed that he cant do much and as a kid that does a lot that sucks. The system will get another water change tonight depending on parameters. It was at least clear and not cloudy today. So hoping for the best tonight when I test alk. Just gonna have to troubleshoot that brs doser and bnlink timer to see what happened. I will let it run for a day off the tank to see if it will do it again. Makes me nervous though to put it back on the system. Gonna be at lest til wed. before i dose any kind of vinegar to the tank. Will probably be manual doses for a little while so I can figure out what transpired.

N1tew0lf1212

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Well did another 20g change right b4 lights out. Alk rang in at 11 before the wc and 9 after. In all thats 40g water change on a 47g system in 48hrs. Test alk and ph in the morning and check cal mag and phos in the afternoon. Will dose cal and mag accordingly and hope to get things settled back in.

Digitata is showung polyps at the end when it was completely closed up. Birdsnest looks happier. Goni is back to extending somewhat. Bubble coral looking rough. Nems pissed cause of the fluctuation. Chalice pissed and mushrooms. Hammers looking ok but stressed out. Hoping for the best. Will keep updates coming in.

Some people choose not to post the struggles and some do. I feel as if I should to show that things happen.

I always have 40g premixed and circulating for emergencies. As well as having 55g of rodi ready to equalize over if needed to mix more.... preplanning is def. a must in this hobby. Learned that the hard way a few times.

Complacency sucks and I am sure we have all been there. If anyone new to the hobby possibly reads these posts always check the function of your dosers and verify that they are set correctly. Got in a hurry when setting them up and rushed it due to timing of everything. I checked calibration and thats all I did. Normally would watch a cycle to be sure they are functioning properly but didnt this time.

Hopefully things level out. Will hold off on any vinegar dosing for 72hrs or until things level out. Will test each day for the next 3-5 days until it stabilizes. Also will test that doser and timer to make sure everything is ok to reinstall.

Hope everyone has a good week!!!! Gotta remember things happen and no matter what you gotta Keep On Reefin On!!!!

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey man. I don't want you to think you messed up here. Did you actually think about a dosing pump failure? How to back that up? The 1000 other things that could nuke your tank that you couldn't actually account for with today's tech. If you did you'd never leave your house. Shit happens. Now you can think about how you'll fix this so that you'll still be here for the next catastrophe! Welcome to reef keeping (or what some refer to as Parenthood).

Do what you can to be parent to your reef.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

N1tew0lf1212

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Hey man. I don't want you to think you messed up here. Did you actually think about a dosing pump failure? How to back that up? The 1000 other things that could nuke your tank that you couldn't actually account for with today's tech. If you did you'd never leave your house. Shit happens. Now you can think about how you'll fix this so that you'll still be here for the next catastrophe! Welcome to reef keeping (or what some refer to as Parenthood).

Do what you can to be parent to your reef.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
I typically watch the function of the timers used.(brs dosing pump) to be sure they are functioning correctly. I also as a precaution only keep no more than 500ml of any dose in the dosing container, I do this so that at any given point in time there is a safe gaurd.

I am in no way saying this was major (thank god lol) but I will say it could have been avoided.

When checking the pump the pump did exactly what it is supposed to do. So the fault was in the digital timer control. Was able to get a solid charge on the timer and it has been stable for the past 3 days.

So needless to say there are preventative measures to most things in this hobby. Mainly documenting for any newer members to the site and hobby.

Things happen and they always will. I have a busy lifestyle with 3 kids and love being outdoors so I don't just sit at the house and watch the tank. I do however have back up plans and emergency plans drawn out for any situation that could happen. I also regularly perform equipment maintenance/cleaning and also have days on my calender for detail oriented cleaning.

I have trained close friends on how to take care of the tank and things to look for. Also have them over for feeding times and amounts each time for throughout the day. I stay on the side of caution for the simple fact that things do happen and life happens. Contingency plans are super helpful. Also having amazing members here in the club and friends that could help at any time for any reason and are all familiar with my tanks.

This could have been worse. Glad it wasn't but could have been. So sometimes the early prep can mean the world of difference from losing a few pieces or everything. Have great people here that I have given frags and everything to. So if there is loss I can typically get a frag back when and if needed. To think you could possibly control every aspect of this hobby is not possible and you will drive yourself crazy trying to do so.

Just showing the gritty sides of the hobby can help newer members know that things happen. It is how you go about correcting it that will keep you in the hobby for years to come. I am not the most experienced but with research and readin up on things I have a great sense of when things are off. My wife calls me a nerd cause I can typically guess what my parameters are before I test and am pretty spot on with my parameter levels when doing so. That just takes knowing your system.

@scchase has seen some of these things happen to his system recently as well. A mistake doesn't define you by any means. Its how you react and overcome that will create and define you in this hobby. Owning those mistakes swallowing your pride and admitting things out in the open so you know and make sure that you minimize it from happening again.

KEEP ON REEFIN ON!!!

This is my motto for 3 reasons
1.) Not matter what you move forward with whatever happens and you keep going. Don't let the bad things outweigh your effort that you put in and the good things.

2.) There is always a way to get things back
Some might be easy some might be difficult. There are pros and cons to most corrective products out there to rebalance properly and efficiently.

3.) Do your research and only change one thing at a time to see where the issue actually lies. Then after identifying the issue look at your possible corrections use the best solution and never doubt yourself. If you have done the research then typically your plan of attack will go smoothly and if it doesn't you can't beat yourself up. You can only correct it and move forward.

Last edited:

N1tew0lf1212

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Things have finally leveled out with minimal casualties. Couple frags of birdsnest. Still hoping the hammer frags and the bubble coral pull through. Mushrooms did the shrink but are slowly starting to fill back out again.

N1tew0lf1212

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
I have some hammer for you as well as birdsnest and others if you want, the reefer code will help you rebuild!

crap happens, and we move on and try to learn how to let go...
I appreciate you on that we will have to figure out best time to meet up. Hope your feeling better.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk