New Tank Build- From Scratch. Step by step. All things considered

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
There is very little pressure in my overflow, its not running at full siphon, and not surging.

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wicked Demon;147938 said:
No, my 1" overflow is handling at least 1500gph.
Can you tell me what you have for overflow material above the bulkhead? I have not begun to do that work yet. Are you just holes on the back wall or the bottom of your tank with standpipes of some kind. If the former I am jealous, but can't change it now :)

Thanks for all the responses, lots of feed back. I saw that chart as well crw, but it has 16-600+ for 1" drain which was odd at gravity feed. Then I saw wicked saying he is getting over 1k with one 1" gravity? So I don't know.

But even if I just roll with it and tweek and ajust later, i need to drill for these bulkheads in the sumps. The question becomes which of these is best practice?

[attachment=61074:name]

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
IMO WAY to much thought going in to this. To quote my old man " keep it simple stupid ". " simplicity does not keep you up at night." Ball valves and unions.

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
majicmike;147948 said:
IMO WAY to much thought going in to this. To quote my old man " keep it simple stupid ". " simplicity does not keep you up at night." Ball valves and unions.
I think your are right, this would not be the first time I have been acused of such. It's my nature, I got a curse. And since I have spent more time planning than building I am anxious to get underway. I already have my RO filling my 150, but this will take a week :)

I just really need insight on the sump linkage above to start drilling some holes. How to link, tie in pump or not, and what size bulkheads to consider using and I am off to wrap up building.

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Input on post #122?? I have the dt plumbed for drains. floor cut all bulk heads installed, drains to 150 done. and have started the manifold for the return, just need to know if there is a better way to go with the return line that feeds the pump. Which would you recomend for the feed to the pump from psot 122, or is there a better way. Ready to build, drill and glue after that..

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I dont understand what the question is, you seem to have it under control?
return line to the pump?

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
skebo;147947 said:
Can you tell me what you have for overflow material above the bulkhead? I have not begun to do that work yet. Are you just holes on the back wall or the bottom of your tank with standpipes of some kind. If the former I am jealous, but can't change it now :)
In the display I have a reef ready overflow and stock stand pipes
Thanks for all the responses, lots of feed back. I saw that chart as well crw, but it has 16-600+ for 1" drain which was odd at gravity feed. Then I saw wicked saying he is getting over 1k with one 1" gravity? So I don't know.
1" overflow handles WAY more than 600gph.

But even if I just roll with it and tweek and ajust later, i need to drill for these bulkheads in the sumps. The question becomes which of these is best practice?

View attachment 5452 View attachment 5453
I dont understand your scematics

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
plumb the pump feed with its own bulkhead, or can i tee it off the link between sumps? I don't know what to do with this part.

Last edited by a moderator:

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
The schematics in #122? Its the 3 sumps that will link together.
One idea is just tie the pump into that linking of the 3 sumps.
The other is to put the pump on its own connection to just 1 sump.

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wicked Demon;147993 said:
why 3 sumps?
I don't have a sump big enough to handle the drainage (if pump shut off) to handle enough water. Adding baffles to that 150 would be a nightmare, and would not be able to get much in or out of it. So I wanted to fill that with lr and such, drain to the 3 sumps linked together to make 1 big sump. Question is just where to connect the feed to the pump.

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
tlsrcs;148012 said:
what kind of skimmer?
Right now I am going to run 2 smaller ones that I already have until I am up and running and can beter gage and size it. Since I have to cycle and will start off fairly FOWLR to get the bioload up and running I thought I could get by this way.

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
just an idea would be go beckett on the skimmer as they require alot of pressure to run so that would eat up some of that for you as well.

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
tlsrcs;148024 said:
just an idea would be go beckett on the skimmer as they require alot of pressure to run so that would eat up some of that for you as well.
I will look into that down the road. TY!

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Update. Plumbing almost done. I have the DT tank drains done. The 150 tank drains done. The sumps plumbed, linked and connected to the pump. I have the pipe cut for the return manifold. I also have the RO filter filling up the 150.

Thanks to CRW for the lead on all the live rock.

If someone can shed light on an idea. Could I use some saltwater mix from used tanks to speed up cycle, and how long its going to take to make all this RO water? I mean, if your doing a water change and I get what your going to dump out, is this a bad idea? At this rate it will take a week or more to make enough water :( Having 450g of water has its down side, like filling the thing the first time.

Also, if anyone has any dorso's or the like in (2)1.5" or (4)3/4 inch all ready to go let me know.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Everybody will tell you there is no benefit to using used water, but I put not only the water but pre-cycled rock, bio balls, sand, and any other media I can, into every build I do.
I recently started a 70ish gallon system-(46 bow with 29 sump)- 2 cups of sand, bio balls, 2 pieces of LR, and 5 gallons of my water= -0- cycle time, no ammonia, no nitrites, no nitrates.
2 weeks later it is stocked, and running with 20+ corals and 8 fish.