New Tank Build- From Scratch. Step by step. All things considered

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
So big thanks to Majicmike, CRW, and so many others who answered questions, and supported (enabled) my obsession. CRW, knowing I was looking for parts, and keeping an eye out for me and others. That is the awsomest part. I don't know if there is member of the month, but you got my vote.

So the last diagram is the plan, except we will link sumps instead of y'ing the return line prior to intake. (don't know why i didn't think of that)

So pages 10 on will be picts and progress. and I hope it goes smooth. Family coming to town a week from Monday. Would hope to have the cycle done by then. Plan to keep my tank intact (all be it moved :( ), while all this takes place, but will use some of my cc and rock, and even decos to seed faster. I finally found a use for those fake plants. (dont laugh at me, i was fowlr. SW serious lacks on plants)

If you want to see something as I go, let me know.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
No worries, glad to help thus far. Link secondary sumps, meaning one after another?

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
skebo;145662 said:
I don't think so, still on first cup of coffee. All I am trying to do, is see if I can brainstorm a way to overflow the 300g dt down to the basement into the 150g to use also as a dt (non reef safe or something needing seperation). If I baffle in a section in the front for fish, and sump items baffle around the back? Seperate sumps or several of them downstream the 150 interconnected? I really am not a fan of drilling, and to use this 150 as a sump, I would need to drill.
If you're still toying with the idea of having the 150 as a second DT in the basement, like a species tank (mantis shrimp, etc), take a look at my thread. My refugium is "almost" a second display. With more planning and plumbing work, I could've made it a second display. It only houses macro and liverock. Basically, I have two displays on my main floor, totaling 335g, draining into one sump (the stock tank). My lower volume drains on the two DT's flow into the refugium to limit flow in there. The refugium gravity drains into the sump, where the rest of the high volume drains flow as well. See below for the rest...

skebo;145666 said:
I don't think any of these sumps have enough space to cover the overflow of both tanks (perhaps not even 1) in case the pump shuts off. Is there a math formula for knowing how many gallons the top x inches would be in gallons based on dimensions?
So, that leads to this question. All I ended up needing to do was have half of my return nozzles right at or near the waters surface (the other point elsewhere below the surface) and when the pump shuts off, they break the siphon. I can tell you that my 150g stock tank runs at probably 90g. When the pump shuts off, I don't get anywhere near flooding. I could honestly probably run my sump up to 110g and still have the room for the extra water should the pump stop. I tested this repeatedly.

Just throwing out more ideas...like you need more options. ;) Anyhow, looks like you've got some great heads put together already with some great plans!

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reefer;145907 said:
No worries, glad to help thus far. Link secondary sumps, meaning one after another?
My understanding is instead of having both small sumps connect to the return pump, link the small sumps together with a pvc pipe, and one drain to return pump. This way they equalize with water level of eachother. People do this all the time when they can't fit a large sump under the stand due to center bracing. So they use 2 and link them. Lord knows I have enough sumps to link another swimming pools worth together.

Thanks again for all you have done. It means a lot more to people than you might think. But let me know what I owe you for the pump to my skimmer :)

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
So my build has come to a stand still. I have my current tank moved to another wall and the stand and everything in place, but can't possibly lift this beasty onto the stand. I have to try and find some helpers, so if anyone can lend a few hands and 2 minutes of help let me know.

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
CAlled in a calvary. Member's, neighbors, people who owe me money, Homeless I saw by booze with my donation, and the army core of engineers.

The result you ask...

[attachment=61040:name]
A tank in its new home.

BTW, how do you all get picts full screen? photobucket?
Special thanks to Wicked Demon ( a front, really a great guy) and Tlsrcs (doesn't hide he is a nice guy)

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Nice Neil, glad to see the beast in place! Now let's see that plumbing :) let me know what you need and I will price it for you.

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Some picts of the tear down just for your enjoyment. keep you busy while I slave away on plumbing to making sure this 80gpm (yes "minute" @ 15' head) does not put a hole in my cement wall like a pressure washer in butter.
[attachment=61045:name]
[attachment=61042:name]

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Plumbing question. Safe to use the various pvc glues? Few different kinds depending on what your bonding, but should I not use this? If not, what to use. Please don't say welding....please dont say welding. No torches ok. bad juju

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just dont use ABS.
PVC and most all of the glues are fine, try not to load too much weight on the bulkheads as they can break.
Sharp corners cause a lot of head loss, but you might not care with super pump.

skebo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
abs=the black ones right?
I was going to go unions with flex for bends. I want to pour some power back to drive various other equipment and minimize other pumps. in theory anyway. Do they make a skimmer that wants 80gpm for the section with no head? :)
Insert Tim the tool man taylor cave man grunt now.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
when you t the line you gain head (lose flow) and split the result depending on difference in length and geometry, basically you will have a little over half of the total flow at the first outlet, (skimmer) so I would look for a skimmer that needs ~30-40 gpm/1800-2400gph.
You will also need to incorporate a venturi or other air devise as the pump wont be needle wheel/air induction.