Nicky J's Reefer 250

Picked up 2 peppermint shrimp, an emerald crab and 4 new frags at Aquatic Art on Saturday.
Also got some All For Reef powder for the first time. I've been using the DIY recipe of Tropic Marin products to make it up to this point. Curious to see if there will be any change. Current dosage is 24ml/day.

Haven’t posted in a while so here’s a quick update. Corals are growing out nicely and I’m up to 30 ml of all for reef daily. Very happy with the single solution dosing. Recently added a tiny female mandarin and a maxima clam. Also dealing with what I think is green cyano if anyone has tips for dealing with that.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Looking good man. Although I see I need to revise my design on the lid for the future
Note on the maxima though, these guys need A LOT of light, around 400 par, to survive long term. Unless you are getting that on the bottom there, you may consider moving him up higher in the light.

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looking good man. Although I see I need to revise my design on the lid for the future
Note on the maxima though, these guys need A LOT of light, around 400 par, to survive long term. Unless you are getting that on the bottom there, you may consider moving him up higher in the light.
Is that what that is sagging along the top of the tank? Is it symmetrical? I made one out of acrylic and it would slowly sag over time and I would just flip it over every month or two.

758B6D08-00B5-4860-A4D2-DBF1A68DF4B2.jpeg

Yep just got him on Saturday so I'm starting him low hoping he attaches to that rock which I can move up down the road. The lid does sag a bit now so the mesh is in the water and it grows some algae almost algaescrubber style but I just clean it off during my weekly water changes. Doesn't seem to be hurting anything.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Is that what that is sagging along the top of the tank? Is it symmetrical? I made one out of acrylic and it would slowly sag over time and I would just flip it over every month or two.
Ya its what is sagging in the middle. This one was my first attempt at a rimless top. The frame is 3d printed, so it lighter weight and more economical then an acrylic top. It is symmetrical from left to right, but not top to bottom, and its held in place by a couple tabs at the corners. Likely need to add those tabs in the middle as well to prevent the sagging, or revise the design so it sits on the top of the rim instead of inside it. I have gotten better at stretching the mesh on my newer ones so that the mesh doesn't sag into the water, but just something for me to consider on future designs.

Yep just got him on Saturday so I'm starting him low hoping he attaches to that rock which I can move up down the road. The lid does sag a bit now so the mesh is in the water and it grows some algae almost algaescrubber style but I just clean it off during my weekly water changes. Doesn't seem to be hurting anything.
He wont take long to attach, and unlike corals clams don't really need time to adjust to the lighting changes as they can self regulate.

If at sometime in the future you want to change out the lid, so it doesn't touch the water, let me know. I can try a different design, and Ill do it pretty cheap for you since, it would be to replace this one. Or I could even just print a few tabs for the middle that I could attach for you. You'd need to ring it to me for a day or so but would be pretty quick to modify the existing frame with those. That wouldn't fix the screen sagging, but it would at least keep the frame from sagging further

One month later my most recent additions seem to be doing well. Female mandarin is eating pellets and the clam has grown a bit. Also I have finally been successful adding another skunk clown to pair with my female after two failed tries she likes the new guy.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Looking great

Just noticed this small new coral on my back wall yesterday. Thinking maybe one of my acros reproduced because I found a few more tiny corals around the tank when I took a closer look.

rajah

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm guessing it's your pocillopora that reproduced. They can get a bit invasive when they pop up everywhere but are fairly easy to remove if needed.

Your coral looks awesome - nice work.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It is polyp bailout by Poci. It can be fun. It can be invasive. If you google it, polyp bailout is a stress thing for some/most corals, but with Poci, they seem to do it when appearing perfectly healthy.

It is polyp bailout by Poci. It can be fun. It can be invasive. If you google it, polyp bailout is a stress thing for some/most corals, but with Poci, they seem to do it when appearing perfectly healthy.
Yep that makes sense my birdsnest has a little bald patch. I did switch salts from ESV to tropic marin pro two weeks ago so maybe that caused a bit of a shock. I like to rotate salts every few buckets.